Sunday, November 23, 2008

la la la

Weekends provide some much needed downtime. I suppose they should be for hanging out with friends but at the end of the week, all I want to do is drive to Gig Harbor and just for one night, hang out in front of the fire, talking with my parents and reading for my class. This has been my Saturday night for the past 3 weeks.

Yesterday I went to a funeral for a 6 month old baby. It was open casket and the baby's five year old brother and grandpa were standing in front of it as I waited my turn. I have never seen such a small casket. I couldn't stop crying. The baby's mother was nearby with her head in her husbands lap, wailing. I learned what its like to hurt in that way this year, but it must be so much more intense when its your young child. Going to the funeral was a painful experience but necessary. I don't want to shelter myself from other people's pain anymore. I know how it felt to watch my dear sweet Grandma die, and I am still in mourning for that. I still cry every few days. Something will remind me of her, like a cute old lady in a grocery store, and I will duck into the next aisle to hide my tears.

Anyway, I'm late picking up Randy, but I was going to try and post some pictures from Uganda. I guess we will wait on those and I'll post them over Thanksgiving break.

No comments: