Tuesday, April 14, 2009

sheep bones and huntsman spiders

I made this while I was up working in the hills. There are so many sheepy bones everywhere! They die of natural causes since there aren't any predators. There has been sheep on this land for so long and the bones just hang around forever, so they have accumulated over the years.



I found this bugger outside my bathroom door. I couldn't even think of a name for it because my heart kind of came out of my throat. This is the biggest wild spider I have ever happened across. It could have covered the palm of my hand, not that I would ever let it! While I locked myself in the bedroom, my wwoofer host picked it up by one of its legs and put it out in the garden, telling me that they only eat flies and its the little ones I should be worrying about.


Today I got to take the 4-wheeler up into the hills to remove invasive plants and fill up bunny holes so they will leave and take the foxes with them. The foxes and the rabbits were brought over by the British to be hunted for sport. I can't think of anything more bloody stupid then introducing a foreign species so you can hunt it for fun. When the foxes aren't munching on bunnies, they are chewing up baby wombats and native birds.




Parrot outside my bedroom window:


Yummy lunch on the porch:

3 comments:

Syd said...

AHHH I love your photos..

I love the sun
i want it
i need it.
enjoy it for me till i get to have my own
love you gorl
oh here's my email

back2thestars@hotmail.com

Bekah said...

Aww bone art!! That looks really cool!! Those spiders are freaky buy you seem like you're having a wonderful time <333 I miss you muchly,take a sun bath for me!

Randall H. Sloot said...

I love you too babe. Thinking of you always.