Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A sweet surprise!

The Corn Refiners Association, an industry group that represents some of America's leading manufacturers of high-fructose corn syrup, recently launched a $25 million PR campaign to save the good name of their trademark product.





Do you know what the sweet surprise is? Not only will HFCS make you resistant to the hormone that regulates appetite so you won't control your eating, but it also has been found to contain mercury! Even worse is that the FDA discovered this in 2005 and have done absolutely nothing about it! I seriously think its worse than trans fat and should just be banned altogether if we ever want to the obesity epidemic to end. I was so disturbed to learn that its even an additive in beer. Is nothing sacred??!! Since they don't have to put the ingredients on the label, nobody even realizes its there. Luckily after writing some of my favorite breweries (rogue, deschutes, big sky, and avery) I was told no respectable brewery would use it. Deschutes said they do make a Flanders-style sour brown ale that uses Belgian Candi Sugar in the recipe to help them produce a high alcohol beer without a thick body. This beer is called “the Dissident” and comes out once a year after being barrel aged for about 18 months. Hahaha, pretty much squashed my worries. Not that I even needed another reason to stay away from the cheapo beers anyways. My pabst smear days are so over.

1 comment:

Syd said...

There's a Nazi spoof too that's pretty good "Nazism, like table sugar, is fine in moderation!".

We should get together and talk about my paper Sue. I need idea help badddd. If you want we can take 6 shots of Markers Mark too.

Love,
sorting-my-life-out-sydney